Friday, May 5, 2017

Thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

The 2nd Guardians of the Galaxy movie is out and I have seen it.  These are my thoughts on the movie.  Not a review as such but THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!


This movie had a lot to live up to.  The first movie was a surprise hit.  I felt like this movie would feel like a disappointment no matter what, just because there was no way it would live up to the first one.  It didn't have that element of surprise.  I was happy to find that I was wrong.  I mean, it's not gteat, but it was okay.  Didn't blow my socks off, but also it didn't just blow.

The opening sequence was fun, but why is baby Groot still not dancing when Drax is watching?  Drax knows he moves by now.  I guess it was supposed to be a fun call back to the first movie, but it didn't make much sense.

Flashback Kurt Russell was weird looking to me.  I don't know why but his face just looked to beefy.

Baby Groot was something I knew was going to happen since the first time I watched the first movie.  I thought I was prepared for it.  But it still got to be a little grating before the movie was over.  In fact, one of my favorite scenes happens in the credits when they show that Groot is growing up.

Yondu has a big fin like in the comics!  it starts out with the small one from before, but that one gets damaged.  Turns out it is some kind of electronic device that allows him to control his whistle arrow.

When Stallone shows up, is that Martinex from the original Guardians?  And Yondu calls Stallone Stakar, or something like that.  Is he supposed to be Starhawk?  I thought this might be confirmed in one of the credits scenes when these two are shown with a group of others and Stallone is saying how good it is to be back together again.  But if these were supposed to be the original Guardians of the comics, Gunn made a lot of changes to them.

Howard the Duck pops up, but only as background in a scene.

The catch scene was really stupid, and it looked to me like even Pratt and Russell thought it was stupid as their hearts don't really seem to be in it.

Why would you make a bomb with a button that would make it blow up right now, if you didn't want it to blow up right now?  Why not just not have that button?  The scene wasn't funny enough to excuse this lapse in reason.

Gamora got to be a badass in this, and other than one scene with Rocket is really the only one that got to do that.  I was disappointed that Mantis didn't have more to do in the movie for instance, and Drax was reduced to a running joke, while Groot's main purpose seems to be to sell toys.  I know people will say "But Groot placed the bomb that kills Ego".  Yes but he spent most of the movie being "cute" and stupid.

The Watchers are the best thing in the movie and I want to watch it again just for them!  I never thought I'd see them in a movie, and the fact that they are being chatted up by Stan the Man, who is telling them about his cameo in Civil War, is amazing!  Although I can't believe those jerks left him on an asteroid in space.  Part of me wonders if this is the in continuity explanation for no more Stan cameos, and that makes me sad.

Like I said before, the movie is okay.  It's not great.  Sometimes the humor feels too forced, and some of the sentimental moments are a bit too heavy handed.  I'm thinking particularly of Yondu saying "I didn't control the arrow with my head but with my hear..." as he gets buried under a pile of rocks.  This allows Quill to break loose and kick some ass by harnessing the power of Ego.  But the movie is funny and ends up being fun overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.