Sunday, March 5, 2017

Initial Thoughts After Seeing Logan

I saw Logan today, and here are some of the initial thoughts I had during and immediately after the movie.  While this is not a review, there will be spoilers, so you've been warned.



I initially wasn't going to see this movie in the theater, because I had been burned so badly by the other two Wolverine solo films.  Especially the second one, because it started off really good, then took s sideways turn in the last act.  But the word of mouth I was hearing on it was really good, and I had a gift card, so I decided to give it a shot.  And I am glad I did.  It was a pretty good flick.  Now to those thoughts that said I would share.

Tires do not squeal that way on dirt.  I know it is a nitpicky complaint of a really good movie, but every time Logan spun his car around in the dirt and it squealed like he was on pavement it yanked me right out of the moment and made me want to smack the sound people around a bit.

Every movie since the first X-Men has upped the violence and gore factor regarding Wolverine's claws.  This movie they just flat out cut loose with it.  I guess we probably have Deadpool to thank for that.  I actually felt a bit brutalized by a few scenes.  That is not a complaint, if you have a rage filled assassin with unbreakable claws it stands to reason that things are going to get messy.  If anything, the previous movies went too far in downplaying the carnage that would be inevitable.

The darkest part of the movie is actually something that happened a year before it starts.  Professor X is suffering from a degenerative brain disease, has a seizure and kills the X-Men.  He remembers this in the movie, but it is not really dealt with as he is killed immediately.

Hearing Sir Patrick Stewart drop the F-bomb is very jarring.

That dinner scene is very (sorry there is no other word that can be used to describe it) sweet.

Holy crap, they actually killed the title character of the movie.  I mean, I know it won't stop them from using Wolverine in the future, in either X-Men or solo movies.  But still, you don't often see that in superhero flicks.  Even Nolan chickened out and had Batman fake his death.

I got some dust in my eye or something at the end when she calls him daddy.  It was also nice when she turns the cross on his grave into an X.

Even though this was a dark and bleak film, it was not shot through a dark filter and it had moments of warmth and humor.  As a result, it did not feel as oppressive as Batman V Superman.

As much as I like the movie, I do wish the final fight had not been with a Wolverine doppleganger, as I feel that is an overused generic baddie type.

I noticed that even though the movie is called Logan, they used his name of James Howlett a few times in the movie.  It seems a little funny to me, because he only got that name because Marvel comics felt the need to give his origin before the movies did after Jackman's first outing as Wolverine in the first X-Men movie.

And holy shit!  Did I mention this movie is crazy violent and gory?  Also that little girl is fierce!

They close with The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.  Great song and fits the mood of the movie perfectly.

Also, there is a pretty funny Deadpool short at the beginning, which I am suer you have all seen on the interwebs by now even if you haven't seen the movie yet.  Speaking of which, you should.  Go see the movie.  Like, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.